If you are considering applying for the Disney College Program, I have nothing but amazing things to say about it! I mean, how can you beat working at “The Most Magical Place on Earth” (or “The Happiest Place on Earth” for Disneyland)? It is truly a once in a lifetime experience. If you are anything like I was prior to applying, you have literally looked up all things Disney and are reading tons of bloggers and listening to lots of vloggers DCP experiences. I get you. 😉
Well, enough chit-chatter from me. I know you’re here to understand why I think the Disney College Program is the bomb.com. Here are my reasons the Disney College Program changed my life!
- You’ll work for Mickey Mouse. Although you’ll report to coordinators and leaders on a daily basis, Mickey is still the best boss in the world. All Cast Members are here to uphold the mission of Sir Mickey by creating the best vacations and happiest of memories for guests near and far. We can’t do that without keeping Mickey Mouse in mind. Plus, it’s always an awesome feeling to share with family and friends that you indeed work for Mickey Mouse. Really.
- You’ll get to play in the parks on your days off work. You work where you vacation. Days off work feel like vacation days because, well, you get to visit the parks as a guest! And park entrance is FREE of charge for Cast Members (because we work there). Not many people can say that! Take full advantage of all the attractions, performances, and Disney munchies you can get your hands on. HAVE FUN. You’ll deserve it from all the hard work you put in as a Cast Member.
- You’ll meet amazing people that will change your life. This can be fellow College Programmers, coordinators, leaders, and even guests! You never know who you’ll encounter. Talk with everyone. People from all walks of life and all nations of the world work and visit Walt Disney World. I’ve met people from New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, China, and Puerto Rico to name a few! It’s really amazing how one company can mean so much to so many people.
- You’ll create magical moments for guests every day. Did a guest’s light saber stop working? No problem, we’ll trade you for a brand new one. Is it your birthday? I think Goofy is calling on the phone to wish you a Happy Birthday! I love love love magical moments. You never know how such simple actions can make a person’s day and vacation so worthwhile. My heart was always so full creating magical moments for others.
- You’ll create and accomplish awesome bucket lists! The eating the Kitchen Sink with roommates, visiting four parks in one day, riding Tower of Terror ten times in a row, eating at all the fancy park restaurants, and participating in Disney 5Ks are some of the cool bucket list items College Programmers may complete. With so much available to do at the parks, you’ll have lots of opportunity for adventure and fun with friends!
- You’ll gain a greater appreciation for The Walt Disney Company. Unlike most Disney fans, you’ll actually experience an inside scoop of everything that goes into creating the Walt Disney World experience…and it’s phenomenal. So much hard work and dedication goes into creating each highly-themed park and resort as well as hiring the best of the best Cast Members to uphold that magic. From the most you attend your first Traditions orientation to the time you clock out of your final Disney working shift, the magic is revealed to you. Daily park and resort operations are not to be taken for granted.
- You’ll learn to “adult”. You’ll be living at an apartment with roommates, budgeting out your weekly paychecks, grocery shopping, doing chores, taking care of your costumes, and being the punctual, mature Cast Member that you are. For many people, this all might seem a bit daunting. But, you’ll get the hang of these necessary responsibilities with time. Disney teaches you to think fast and be efficient. You’ll be proud about your new adult-like independence!
- You’ll create memories that will last a lifetime. Trust me on this. Vlog. Blog. Take lots of pictures. Keep a daily journal. Get all those character autographs. Buy those plush souvenirs. Keep in touch with those friends. Time is too short to leave such an exciting part of your life undocumented. You’ll be sad when your program ends (and it will fly by quickly). These will be the proof of your amazing Disney adventure and keep you happy when reflecting on all you’ve accomplished and how much you’ve grown as a person. It is never “goodbye” – just “see you later”.
- You’ll become more compassionate, giving, patient, and guest-oriented. You start to become a better person. You’ll listen to guests concerns and help them the best you can. You’ll want to make people happy because it makes you happy. Engaging with guests will become more intentional and personal because each person is uniquely special and deserves to be treated like royalty.
- You’ll discover more about what is most important to you in life. After your program ends, you will have a clearer sense of self – your likes, dislikes, interests, and goals. Your hopes and aspirations will make more sense to you. The kind of people you look up to and the friends you want to surround yourself with reveal themselves. You become more confident and kind. It’s amazing how much a person can grow from this experience. I wouldn’t have traded it for anything.